The East Amwell Historical Society will host a free open house at the Clawson House on Saturday and Sunday, October 21 and 22 from noon to 3 p.m.
Everyone is invited to check out the historic Federal-style home, built around 1810, and see the incredible improvements made within the past year. EAHS members will give tours of the house and discuss its past. Three displays will invite visitors to view artifacts from the Edward Quick Collection, the Grace Cronce Collection and on the Clawson House. Refreshments will be served, and donations will be deeply appreciated.
The house is located at 1053 Old York Road and fronts Marion F. Clawson Park. Harold and Marion Clawson owned the farm and house for decades. In 1999, the township purchased the property to establish a park, but the house sat boarded up for several years.
EAHS has made tremendous progress with the building, and this past summer the exterior of the back entrance with a ramp providing access to everyone was finished.
Once renovations are completed, the building will serve several purposes, including: the headquarters of the East Amwell Historical Society, the home of the township’s museum, a local history research library, and a place to store and display items from the Edward Quick Collection, the Grace Cronce Collection and artifacts and memorabilia preserved by the East Amwell Historical Society.